10.26.2004

Tuesday, October 26th, 2004

I think today I’ll write a bit about the city. Ankara is an interesting place. It’s the capital city and much more modern than anywhere else in Turkey. But it’s an interesting sort of modern. A drab sort of modern. In most capital cities you find so many historical places, a great sense of time. Not here. A few tall buildings, busy streets, and apartment buildings everywhere. And it’s dirty. Turks have not yet figured out the importance of cleanliness, which is especially surprising considering my preconception of its value in Islam. There is trash everywhere.

Example: Süleyman and I were walking down the street, sharing some Turkish desert from a container. When we finished he threw it over his shoulder without a moment’s hesitation. It’s also common to see shopkeepers sweeping rubbish from their door, across the sidewalk, and into the street. In Çankiri, there is a small stream that runs through the town. It’s filled with rubbish: soda bottles, trash bags, rags, rotten fruit, cardboard boxes, and everything else. And yet people keep their homes immaculate. What a contradiction. It bothers me. When I speak with nationalists who are convinced Turkey will be a world power in 20 years, I’m often tempted to say, “Your people can’t even keep the street clean. How will you manage to run the world?” I haven’t yet said such a thing though.

Another thing is the large amount of air pollution. In Ankara it isn’t so bad, although it’s not good either. In Çankiri it was horrific. All the heating in Çankiri is done by coal. So once it gets cold there is a perpetual blanket of stinky smoke hovering over all the apartment buildings. This horrible haze that covers everything. Ankara has some natural gas heating, but most apartment buildings here do not. Once I woke up at about 5 a.m. in my dorm because of the smell. Almost suffocating. Which is better, to be too warm but able to breath, or comfortable but sucking in fumes? I chose to close the window, but I wasn’t happy about it.

It’s funny, most of the students I speak with don’t like being in Ankara. They speak with great fondness of Istanbul, or their home towns, and say that they can’t wait to leave. Even many faculty members complain about the city. History is so important to the Turkish people; perhaps the modernity doesn’t suit them as much as Atatürk hoped it would.

Another funny thing about Turkey is the rules. There are rules for everything. I’ll use my dorm as an example. There are rules for leaving to early and coming home too late. Every day between 10:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. we must all sign a book saying that we are here. After 11 p.m. you must only whisper (except in the café), even though Turks don’t go to bed until much later. If I leave for the evening, I must sign a form saying I am leaving. And then they don’t let you back in until morning! When I get dinner I sign a form, and then take a plastic chip that says dinner on it. I walk about four feet, and then hand it to the person who lets me into the line for dinner! There are many more, but I won’t continue. It makes the Goshen College standards of living look like a heathen’s paradise! I now understand the meaning of “red tape” and why it’s a problem in Turkey.

Today at BIM I toured their server topography, and asked a lot of questions about the IT here. They are very advanced! The neatest thing by far was to see how much they use Linux. Debian Linux to be exact. It’s enabled them to invest far more money in hardware and bandwidth, since they don’t have to pay high licensing fees to use Microsoft operating systems. It’s the effective large scale use of Linux I’ve ever seen, and would make any open-source advocate very proud.

I’m making some good friendships in the department here. As always, the people are so warm and friendly. I can hardly believe my good fortune here… will things ever go badly?

3 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Since I now have a blooger, I can now post you little messages! I would beat the poo out of turkey if i was there. About the whole pollution thing, i give americans a hard enough time when they just throw a teeny tiny gum wrapper out the window! At school they call me "tree hugger" cuz i'm such a nut about pollution. Man, I'm going to go to Turkey some day and teach them the dangers of pollution. Love you.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting - but have you ever thought that a lack of pollution is an incredible luxury - that 90% of the world cannot even imagine. If you don't have clean water or effective sewage systems, how can you not have pollution? Or if the only source of heat for most people is coal - how can you not have air pollution? Yes - stopping people throwing trash away is an education thing - but the others are much more complicated. Things to consider.

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger simonjh said...

Yes, I do understand that lack of pollution is a luxury. I think (and it was a long time ago, so my memory is cloudy) that my basic goal with the journal entry was to express my surprise at the differences I experience here. It's one thing to read about pollution in a university textbook; another to experience it. Turkey is by far the most "underdeveloped" (sorry, I don't like that word) country I've been too. The closest before this in my experience was Cuba, otherwise I've just been to western European countries. And Cuba's infrastructure was much more advanced than Turkey's in this regard, so I didn't come across blatant differences that would provide shock they way this did.

I'm interested in doing more traveling and experiencing many other places, and I'm sure as I do that I will become more used to these facts, and realize more and more how lucky I am. Not that America is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Alcoa and their lignite is just one example, but there are plenty more to be found.

As Turkey gets further into these EU dealings, some of this stuff will no doubt change. I know that there are EU laws on things like water treatment facilities for every town over 10,000 people, or something similar anyway. That means there will be a huge need for Turkey to develop this kind of infrastructure and train the needed workers, or face large fines. So no doubt investment will come from somewhere to provide these things. And that opens up a whole different conversation...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog search directory

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter