3.15.2005

Tuesday, March 15th, 2004

Hi hi hi. Thanks for all the birthday emails yesterday, all four of you. Mom, dad, Stephanie and Ben Luginbuhl… you guys are the best. The rest of you are… as I often say in Turkey… “çok bombok.”

I think it’s time for an update on my life plans. My time in Turkey is running short. I know that a scattering of people all around the world are having an at least passable time following my exploits. Unfortunately, all things must pass.

I’m heading back to my main base in Ankara later this week, most probably on Friday. No more Mediterranean for me. İskenderun has been good, but my work here is pretty much finished. When I get back to Ankara, I will spend the week reacquainting myself with old friends and preparing for the CCID visit to Turkey which begins on the 25th.

I’ll be flying to İstanbul, where I will greet a delegation of instructors and administrators from three different community colleges in the USA. My dad will be among them, as CCID is his organization! We’ll spend some time at İstanbul University’s technical college, and see some sights. Then, it’s back to Ankara, with meetings at the American Embassy, with the Turkish Higher Council of Education, and random others that I don’t even know about.

The instructors will be spending their time at the two schools I have worked at: Çankırı and İskenderun. But I’ll be with my dad and another of his colleagues in the capital.

And following this, I will most probably return to the states!

The time has gone so quickly. I feel both horrible and wonderful about returning home. There is a lot that I’ll miss about Turkey. Mostly the friendships I’ve made. There are some cultural things here that make me squirm sometimes, but all in all it’s a wonderful place. I’m already dreading the shock of fitting back into the consumer-driven, materialistic and non-thinking society that I call home. We’ll see what happens. I can always self-medicate…

I really like blogging, so I’ll probably start a new one. I was in a restaurant the other day, and eating all these tasty salads that they just bring out as part of the meal (no cost) and I was thinking… these salads are so nice. But in America, we’d never get them, because most of the customers would probably complain and say “Ewww… what is this stuff? Blah, blah blah.” So we get iceberg lettuce and a few tomatoes. And gross Ranch dressing. What is this stuff?

Salad for the masses.

Then I was thinking about starting a new blog, and I realized that most of what I say is absolutely useless. Just like our unexciting appetizers. So my new blog will be called “Salad for the Masses.” The goal will be to bore you all with the mundane details of my life, such as what music I’m listening to, what board games I’ve played recently, who I think stinks at the moment (whether I’ve met them or not), and whatever else I can think of. You will all be truly bored.

And then maybe you’ll all start eating tastier salads.

4 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Simon,
You are the "traveler" arent you. I hope that you will let us know where to find our Salad before you shut this down. I would keep it up because you have so much stuff here, it would be sad to loose all the history youve written about in this blog. I hope you saved copies and pics of all your entries.

Why not just keep this one up ??

Simon, you may be coming home to the States, but you are not the same young man you were when you left, remember that! if you sink back into society, forgetting what you learned out there, THAT would be a shame.

Bring your new found knowledge home and put it to good use. You talk about propoganda, you are right. sitting outside the U.S. for a long period of time changes ones perspective of Home doesn't it.

Don't change who you are today, back into the boy you were before you left to go to Turkey.

Peace and safe travels

Jeremy
Montreal.

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY...
i even wrote it down so i wouldn't forget !!

jer.

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger simonjh said...

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you so much for the nice response. I was meaning to write to you earlier, but you know how those things go...

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your comments on my writings. I'm glad to know that someone has enjoyed sharing this voyage with me. It's the whole reason I came here in the first place... I wanted some incredible life experiences to share with people. And I most certainly have found those, and much more that I did not anticipate.

I will leave the blog online. Maybe I'll just change the title and continue to post here. You're right, it would be a shame to have it swallowed up or lost. Or maybe I can continue to post my reflections on Turkey, newspaper articles and communications from friends, etc. on the blog. That might be a nice way to keep it alive; even if I'm no longer physically present in Turkey, my heart will always be there.

Oh... how sappy!!! ;-) But it's all true.

Thanks again,

Simon

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger sasha said...

Oh man, here are some more belated b-day wishes from Montréal:

KEEP ROCKING IT, SIMON J HALDER!

And when I say "it," I totally mean life, as well as your blog.

Cheers,
sasha miguel

ps: this was going to be awful, but Blogger won't accept the <blink> tag. Lucky you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog search directory

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter