3.17.2005

Turkey's campaign to educate women

Turkey's campaign to educate women is a very recent BBC story on some grassroots activities in Turkey to boost women's rights, something which I feel is lacking here.

I really am curious about the number of these types of organizations. One thing that I have viewed here (and if there are any Turks reading, please feel free to prove me wrong, it will make me happy) is that grassroots organizations like these are generally viewed as criticism of the government, therefore a threat to national security. There is a great fear here of forces working to "pull our unified country apart". I have asked frequently about organizations like the one in the article, but people either have no idea what I'm talking about or get very reactionary and defensive about their government's efforts. Dissent on the status quo is often looked at as heinous or illegal.

Anyway, check it out, it's good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog search directory

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter